OSA Zernikes 20 years old, but still not in Zemax, yet....

• 19 February 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge
OSA Zernikes have been used for ophthalmic activities now for many years, with values in microns, and the terms in a certain order. I emailed the help desk yet again about whether there was some easy way to even just get Zernike values in microns, in addition to wavelengths, even without the order. Not even that, but this could be added as another tab, perhaps, in the "Zernike Standard Coefficients" window. In fact, there may be several Zemax outputs where re-ordering and recalculations could be provided easily as additional sheets without changing the original output. Looking up the origins of the OSA Zernikes it looks as though it just happens to be exactly 20 years ago. Vision science and its applications. Feb 11-14, 2000 in Santa Fe. Thibos, Applegate, Schwiegerling, Webb, and others. Well done. Also in ANSI Z80.28 and other places. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I must admit I'd never heard of 'OSA Zernikes', but I hadn't thought about the ANSI version. There are of course many different versions of Zernikes, but I do think the ANSI version should be supported. Check out Jim Schwiegerling's paper attached. I particularly like how the n,m numbering system is rationalized into a single index, with a clear separation of radial and angular orders:

I think that's very helpful when considering the angular sampling needed in Gaussian quadrature as well