Solved

OpticStudio resource for common surfaces, like black anodize aluminum

• 11 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I want to simulate stray light effects with a barrel in OpticsStudio non sequential. I’m not an expert with scatter profiles, and looking for a library of some common generic mechanical parts like raw aluminum and black anodized aluminum.

I looked in the ‘IS Scatter Catalog’ under generic, but only see 2 options.

I realized there is lot of complexity to the details, but it seems like OpticsBuilder has some simple canned choices like ‘Black Anodized’.

Is there a way to access those libraries in OpticsStudio? Any other resources anyone can recommend? 

Thank you,

John

icon

Best answer by Allie 11 February 2022, 20:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi John,

I’ve used Acktar black coatings for a similar purpose in the past.  See this press release: Acktar black coatings.  Their coatings are part of the OpticStudio IS Scatter Catalog.  You can try contacting them to see if they also have a file for raw or machined aluminum.

Not sure what wavelength range you are using, but beware that conventional black anodized aluminum becomes very reflective above 700 nm (see: Reflectivity of Various Black Materials)

In addition to Acktar, a good option in the NIR is Pioneer Optical Black Aluminum Anodizing.  I think Pioneer can provide an example reflectance spectrum for their product, but not sure about an *.isx file.

PS: Hopefully someone from Zemax can comment on your question about the availability of scattering files from OpticsBuilder for use in OpticStudio.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @John.Hygelund - In addition to what Jeff provided above, I received permission from our OpticsBuilder product manager (@Lisa C) to share the scatter profiles with you if you’re interested in using what we ship with that program. Generally, the profiles were derived from OpticStudio scatter profiles. Here’s a list of the derivations:

OB scatter profile OS origin
Black Anodized Alanod Deco Prime 13-C12 (with some modifications)
Black Foil 1% Reflectance Visible Acktar_Metal_Velvet_29-1_Radiometric
Black Foil 2% Reflectance UV Acktar_Spectral_Black_KT-10_Radiometric
Black Paint 1% Reflectance Visible Acktar_Magic_Black_309-11
Black Paint 2% Reflectance UV Acktar_Fractal_Vlack_1776_S-04
Black Paint 2% Reflectance Visible Acktar_Vacuum_Black_316-11
Gold Anodized Alanod_Deco_Prime_4_C22
Grey Anodized Alanod_Deco_Prime_4_C61
Grey_Plastic Grey_Plastic
Powdered_Black_Steel_Post Powdered_Black_Steel_Post
Stainless Steel Alanod_Deco_Mironox_7_SR

Note: Due to the size restrictions on our forums, I had to split the profiles into two attachments :). 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Perfect, thank you Allie!