Optics Studio 20.3 CAD export changes

• 12 October 2020
  • 13 replies

My workflow requires exporting my optical designs to CAD, then importing them into SolidWorks. With OpticsStudio 20.3, some change was made to how the document is exported to CAD, so the structure of my imported file has changed significantly, including significantly increasing the import/conversion time.

One major problematic change has been the re-interpretation of the rays from lines to splines. Becasue splines can have curvature, I have many difficulties with mates in SolidWorks that I did not have previously. I find it odd that splines are being used since the rays will never have curvature, and the emply spline data would seem to take up more file space.

Is there an option to revert to the previous export behavior? If there is not a benefit to using splines instead of lines, please revert this change.

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Dietrich,

Yes, you can disable the new libraries unchecking 'Use ACIS Libraries' under Setup> Project Preferences:

Just to let you know, you will find more information regarding the changes introduced by these new CAD libraries in this forum thread:

https://my.zemax.com/en-US/forum/threads/e448c741-2903-eb11-a813-000d3a329613

Best,

Berta

Thank you, Berta. Your suggestion solved my issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

If I have 'Use ACIS Libraries' checked, a CAD export to a STEP file results in my .zmx prescription--which is in inches--being exported in 1/25.4 scale (basically in millimeters).  Please fix this.  FYI, unchecking the box appears to fix this, but still . . . shouldn't have to do that.  Inches should export in inches regardless of ACIS Libraries check/uncheck.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi James,

I have exported to CAD a singlet (Diameter =20 inches) both with 'Use ACIS Libraries' checked and unchecked, and when inserting it in a Non-Sequential File, if I previously change the units to inches in the System Explorer, I'm having the same result:

I'm using OpticStudio 20.3.1. Sorry if I'm missunderstanding anything, but it's not the same for you? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

And here with 'Use ACIS Libraries' unchecked

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Berta, I didn't see a difference in your STEP files when I opened them in CREO.  Both in inches with diameter equal to 20.  Hmm.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi James,

Are you using version 20.3 or 20.3.1? It looks like Berta was using the latest version. It could be that a bug fix in the latest service pack fixed this behavior. If you are still seeing the scaling problem with your own model in the latest version, then we would be happy to take a closer look in a private case. You can share your model there and it will only be accessible to Zemax staff for investigation. 

Best,

Allie

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi James,

I have tested the case in the original 20.3 release and I see the same behavior you mentioned. It looks like with ACIS activated, the export does not take the system units into account. This problem was fixed in the latest service pack (20.3.1). I recommend downloading that version here: https://my.zemax.com/en-US/downloads/opticstudio-downloads/. The release notes for 20.3.1 have more details about the bug fixes we implemented between versions. 

I'm attaching the two STEP files I generated for your reference. Each lens is diameter 20 inches, radius of curvature +/-100 inches. Let me know if you have any other questions about this!

Best,

Allie

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good to know, Allie.  Thanks for looking into this!  

Unchecking  'Use ACIS Libraries' also fixed a failed to export error I was having. Something about the new libraries is incompatible with a scanning mirror system that has worked in previous versions. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Please report any issues you have with the ACIS libraries. We are trying to fix them all because there is a big advantage of using the ACIS libraries in terms of speed and reliability.

Just opened a ticket with the issue and files, Case Number: CAS-30969-L6X2Q0.