optical fiber

• 21 July 2020
  • 6 replies

I would like to know how to perform simulation of light in optical fiber at physics optics.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Matan,

I have responded to you by mail, if you have any further questions after reading the article, please let us know. Thank you~.

Beat Regards

Sean Lin

Hi Sean

I can not create the shape of optical fiber in Zemax.

do you have any suggestions for how to create the shape of 2 cylinders (fiber)?

thanks,

Matan

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Matan,

You can use two cylinder volumes to do it. We happen to have a built in example you as a reference.

Please refer to the following file Documents\Zemax\Samples\Non-sequential\Fibers\Core clad fiber

Beat Regards

Sean Lin

Great, thanks.

Do you know if it possible to create tapered fiber?

Hi All, I used the same method in non-sequential mode to build my fiber optics. in order to be close in real world, I need to have loss at the end of my fiber. For example, if I have a 1 W at the fiber tip, currently I will recieve the same 1 W at the end of my fiber which is not desired for me. Do you guys have any suggestion here to add sort of loss in my fiber?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Matan,

I don’t think that there is an easy way to model this type of Non-Sequential Component using only OpticStudio. You will likely want some help from an external CAD program.

That said, in terms of built-in objects, we do have the Polygon Object for you to get the taper, However, this approach would be extremely non-trivial, and would likely take quite a bit of computation/preparation on your part. That is, you’d likely need to define vertex points and connect them with triangles over the entire surface of the fiber. If you’d like to explore this option, I’d recommend checking out our Polygon Object Help File at “The Setup Tab > Editors Group (setup tab) > Non-Sequential Component Editor > Non-Sequential Geometry Objects.”

However, as I mentioned above, I think the easiest way to go about defining this type of fiber will be to do so in an external CAD program like SolidWorks. You can then import it into OpticStudio and place it in your system. For a pretty comprehensive look at how to perform the CAD Import, I’d recommend reading through the following articles on our Knowledgebase:How to import CAD objects.Tips and tricks for successful CAD import

I hope you find this information helpful, let me know if you have any other questions!

Best Regards

Sean Lin