Solved

Operand to fix Back focal Plane Position/Length during optimization (Sequential)

• 15 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

I would like to design a microscope objective(s) with a fixed parfocality and Back Focal Plane (BFP) with respect to a given surface.

For example:

Objective 1: parfocality Z mm, BFP position from vertex of last surface = BFP1 mm

Objective 2: parfocality Z mm, BFP position from vertex of last surface = BFP2 mm

1. How can I design these two objectives (in multi-configuration if necessary) such that I can optimize the designs around a given BFP position with respect to a coordinate surface (assume surface 0).
    1. For instance; the BFP position should be constrained to 3mm from Surface 0.
    2. What operands can be used to control the focal planes/focal lengths (rear and front) of a optical design in Zemax?
  2. When designing multiple related optics - such as more than one objective lenses for a microscope which share common parameters. What is the best practice to control the common parameters such as parfocality and BFP position between these multiple objective designs?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Christophe.Weisse 2 September 2022, 17:18

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Dear Asuku,

I think a position solve would most likely suit your need.

Please check the explanations about the position solve in this thread:
How do I use a specify a tolerancing compensator that shifts a lens element | Zemax Community

This approach does not yet work natively with multi-configuration, but there’s a workaround described here :
Position solve in multi configuration | Zemax Community

I hope this helps !