Non-Sequential, Ray ignores absorbing object

• 12 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I am currently running tests in non-sequential mode in OpticStudio and have a problem.

My beam goes through a glass, immediately followed by another thin optical material (I tried different ones) and then an absorbing object. However, my beam is not absorbed by this object, although beams should not ignore the object.

In my path analysis, however, my absorbing object appears, but the previous component does not.

I also copied the Absorbing Object from my file and the original has the absorbing properties.

I have attached my file.

In addition I found out for objects touching each other at a surface that the coating of the object with the higher number in the NCE is taken. Here I would like to know where I can read such information.

With kind regards

Christian

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your post!

I opened your file and it seems you are launching a souce from inside an object, and you also have multiple objects placed touching or nesting among each other. I think you'll need to read through this Help File section carefully at The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Overview > Object Placement. 

And for placing source inside of an object, you need to turn on Inside of flag on the source. You can find the description here at The Setup Tab > Editors Group (Setup Tab) > Non-sequential Component Editor > Non-sequential Sources > Placing Sources Inside Objects

When applying coating to a face that's being shared by multiple objects, the same nesting rule applies. You'll need to apply the coating to the face of the object that's being defined later in the Non-sequential component editor.

I think after turning on the Inside of flag for the source and follow the proper nesting rule to adjust the order of these nested objects in the Non-sequential component editor, the issue you saw should disappear. But if you still cannot make the Absorbing object absorb rays, please feel free to reach out to us.

Best regards,

Hui

Hi Hui,

thank you for your answer.

I added changed my source place and added the Inside Of, but in the path analysis my thin optical Object between two Objects is not listed.

I would like to know why my object is hit by a ray, but this is not shown in the path analysis. 

With kind regards,

Christian

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello Christian

I am not sure exactly what is going wrong so here are my modifications.

I have changed the 1st objects to be defined in global coordinates. This allows me to move them on any lines without any problem:

Then I moved the object called 'Test' to the top because the Source starts Inside that object, so it has to be defined 1st:

Then I looked at the sequence of objects following the nesting rule. So I defined the object called 'Test Kebler' last because it overlaps with the other two. So if we want the rays to see it, it should be listed last.

So now when I am sending a ray, it starts in Object 1 (Test) and then hits Object 5 (Test Kebler).

Then it stops being traced because Object 4 (Test Filter) is set to ABSORB.

I have attached my modification. But it doesn't include your material or scattering properties, because you shared the zmx/zda files and not a zar file. Just so that you know.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Sandrine

Hello Sandrine,

Tank you for your answer.

I looked at your zar file and changed my file in a similar way.

Now I see in the path analysis from your file, object 5 (test glue), but the 1st and 4th object are gone.

Is there a way to see all objects in the path analysis? I would like to see all objects my beam passes through.

Instead of this it should look like 'Object: 2  1  5  4'

With kind regards

Christian

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Christian

If you look at the Ray Database Viewer:

The rays (Source 2) starts inside Object 1 (see the In column). So it doesn't appear as a path as all rays will start in Object 1.

Then the rays hit Face 1 of object 5 and then Face 2 of Object 5.

But then the rays stop being traced because Object 4 is set to Absorb.

So you would need to change the Material of Object 4 to be able to see it?

Sandrine