Solved

Non-Sequential Optimization: Set Boundary Values

• 13 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

this might be a stupid question, but I did not find a solution myself.

I am designing an optical system for my bachelor's thesis and want to optimize it.

Is there any possibilty to easily set boundary values in non-sequential mode like there is in sequential mode? Or to set a start/stop value like when doing a Universal Plot?

At the moment, almost all of my optimization attemts lead to impossible settings, like one lens inside the other or the detector placed right after the source.

I feel like there must be something I just have overseen.

Thanks in Advance!
icon

Best answer by David 13 January 2020, 19:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi Julia,

Look at the merit function section "Constraints on Non-sequential Object Data" in the help system. You will find merit function operands for non-sequential systems. For example: NPGT is non-sequential parameter greater than; NPLT for less than, NPVA for value. These and others can be used to constrain the design during optimization.

Kind regards,

David
Hello David, thank you so much!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
You're very welcome, Julia.

The Reference Object column in the Non-sequential Data Editor is also quite useful. In the design illustrated below, the lens is placed with respect to the source, and the detector is placed at a fixed distance from the lens. The distance from the source to the lens is variable, as are both lens radii. The optimization wizard was used to establish a merit function to minimize the RMS Spot Radius on the detector, with a minimum flux of 1W (equal to the source). A user added operand NSZG requires the distance from the source to the lens to be greater than 2mm.