Solved

Non sequential mode optimization settings

• 22 December 2020
  • 1 reply

I would like to optimize a 2 lens illumination system for 'high' efficiency and 'high' homogeneity. I have red articles on Zemax page (idea shown in image; starting point was optimized as imaging system in sequential mode). 1st question is impact of detector settings for optimization (I use rectangular detector). What is the impact of detector resolution and #Analysis rays. For example on detector image I am using 21x 12 pixels and 1E5 Analysis rays. Light Source is Source Rectangle with rectangular shape and Cosine Exponent=1. I have used this small amount of pixels to avoid to noise detector result. Is there any guideline?

Merit function is defined bellow. IS there any hint how to procedu with optimization regarding homogeneity vs. efficiency?

Should both be optimized at the same time or should maybe weight be at first higher for efficiency and later changed?

system.png
icon

Best answer by Hui Chen 23 December 2020, 00:46

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Marko,

Thank you for your post!

Regarding your first question on # of pixels versus the # Analysis rays, since the signal noise ratio goes roughly as the square root of the number of rays per pixel, the higher the # Analysis rays per pixel, the better the SNR. We usually recommend ~100 or more rays per pixel to achieve a decent signal noisy ratio. 

Regarding your second question on optimizing homogeneity vs efficiency, you can use the Optimization Wizard to set up a target for optimizing spatial uniformity, as well as minimum power through. This way OpticStudio will optimize for uniform irradiance distribution while trying to maintain a good power % efficiency. 

Let us know if you need clarifying or have any other quesitons!

Best regards,

Hui