Skip to main content

Hi there,

I try to model a hyperhemispherical object in the non-sequential mode, however, Zemax won’t let me to do so. I get an error saying “cannot create object because there are too many faces in the source objects”. I tried to use the Boolean operation and substracted a zylinder object from a sphere. This works for truncated spheres until a hemisphere results. If I shift the zylinder further and the result would be a hyperhemispheric object the error occurs. 

Is there another possiblity to create a hyperhemispherical object? 

Many thanks for your help! :)

@Corkas 

Could you use a Standard Lens object with a Radius equal to the Thickness?

Any chance you can share your file for troubleshooting? The error seem related to a Source as well, do you have a Source within the hemisphere?

Take care,

David

I’ve done it in Non-seq mode, with the following (e.g. a hyperhemisphere with 4mm radius that is 4.3mm thick:

Standard Lens:

Radius1 = 0

Conic 1 = 0

Clear 1 = 4.0

Edge 1 = 4.0

Thickness = 4.3

Radius 2 = -4

Conic 2 = 0

Clear 2 = 4

Edge2 = 4

Hope this helps.

Dan

Hi,

thanks a lot for your quick responses @David.Nguyen @dkominsky !

If I understand the standard lens correctly, it can only create hemispheres but I need a larger portion of the sphere. I solved the issue the following way:

Cheers!

Hi Corkas, 

Depending on the complexity of your system and the speed needed for ray tracing, you can just remove the Boolean Native and use non-sequential mode’s nesting rule:

So as long as the Cylinder Volume is below the Sphere and the Cylinder Volume doesn’t have a material (i.e., the material is Air), then you’ll have your hyperhemisphere and it will most likely ray trace faster than a Boolean Native.

With the Standard Lens or Standard Surface if the clear semi-diameter is negative, then the surface will become hyper-hemispheric: