Skip to main content

Hi, i have a optical design simulated in non sequential. I want to convert it to blackbox but unfortunately it is not happening as there is no option to convert to blackbox. Is there any way to hide the design without using blacbox. Since am using some CAD parts its not possible to convert to sequential. In other words is there any option in non sequential where i can hide all the design information?

Hi Mubeen,

The short answer is no.

For your CAD parts, are these optical components (are you tracing rays through them) or are they mechanical components?  If they are optical components, you can use a Black Box for the sequential parts of the system and a Non-Sequential Component surface for the CAD part.  This would expose the CAD part to the end user and they can probe the CAD part to determine the optical properties.

Otherwise, you might want to look at the SPEOS product from Ansys.  I’m not that familiar with it but SPEOS has some different capabilities beyond OpticStudio non-sequential.

The only other option for obscuring your design in non-sequential mode is to see if you can represent your optical system with a BSDF scattering profile. If you have a fixed image plane and you want to share the irradiance profile to your customer, you could characterize your system with the BSDF and then provide a simplified NSC file with only a scattering surface and a rectangular detector...all the optical information will be encoded in the BSDF file. This is an extremely “hand wavey” solution and should not be used for in-depth analysis.