Solved

non mirror surfaces cannot be placed in contact with solid

• 20 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to model a microscope, which of course include the use of oil. I already modelled the whole system and I work now in non sequencial mode. However, when I try to put my detector near the oil, close to the specimen, in order to investigate what kind of signal I have, I got the following error: “non mirror surfaces cannot be placed in contact with solid”. It looks like the software doesn’t like when I put my detector in oil. I modelled the oil with the solve model : n=1,52 and abbe number= 58.8. Is there a way to allow the detector  to be inside the oil without any trouble?

Cheers,

Marie Fournier.

icon

Best answer by Marie.Fournier 21 June 2022, 18:17

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Marie,

Its hard to answer without a copy of your file, which looks complex. I have tried to reproduce the issue with a simple example (source + oil as a standard lens + detector), as shown below:

The lens is at Z = 0 mm, and is 1 mm long and the detector is positioned at Z = 1 mm. There doesn’t seem to be an issue. My file is attached to this post for your reference.

In your screenshot, the error reported is a Geometry Error. This can happen for multiple reasons, which we can try to troubleshoot later, but these errors can be silenced by pressing the Ignore Trace Errors in the Non-Sequential Data Editor:

Does that seem to resolve your issue? It doesn’t mean you should ignore those errors, but it can give us a clue as to what is happening.

Take care,

David

Hello David, 

Thank you for your answer. Actually I found the problem: the detector had to be in ABSORB mode in order to be inside the components (like in the oil or in the cover glass of the specimen). So now it works and I can receive the flux on my detector.

Best regards,

Marie.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Marie,

Excellent. Glad you are sorted.

One note on my side, it works even without the ABSORB material on the detector in my file. I have a habit of always typing ABSORB, so I didn’t pay attention to it when I first replied to you.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Just for information, we have a list of error codes in the help files. I hope that can help: