Solved

**New**: Zemax Online Training in OpticsAcademy!

• 22 June 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi all,

I am glad to announce on this forum that OpticsAcademy is launched!

It is our online training platform where you can browse our catalog of courses and learning plans, and go through your online training at your own pace.

A course contains half a day of training material , is priced at 300$ and provides 7 days of access.

A learning path is a bundle of courses, with a common topic and goal. At the end of a learning path, you get a certificate sharable on LinkedIn.

My recommendation is to go with the ''optical system design'' learning path, because it contains all the material from our most popular 5-day classroom training and even more :)

If you have existing OpticStudio experience, you can skip the introductory courses and choose either the optimization learning plan or the tolerancing learning plan.

Here are some reasons to choose the online traning option:

We are currently working on adding additional courses about freeform design and designing for manufacturability using the new tolerancing features. Stay tuned.

-Best,

Thomas

icon

Best answer by Thomas Magnac 22 June 2020, 11:55

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Here is a collection of questions you might have:

1- What is a course, and what is a learning plan?

>The online content is divided into courses and learning plans. A course is the smallest online training unit that may be purcahsed. A learning plan consists of a group of courses that we have carefully selected for the optimum learning experience.

2- Expected time for a course.

>Each course is designed to be ~1/2 day to complete. However, it depends on each trainee knowledge and previous experience.

The duration estimate is displayed in the description of a course/learning plan:

3- How much days does it take and also how much training hours per day.

>It depends on the Learning Plan. For Optical System Design for example, we recommend you take 5 full days. Trainees are free to break it down as they wish to fit their schedule within the duration.

Each individual course is designed be about half a day to go through.

4- Will I be able to ask questions during the course, and receive responses?

>Yes, you can use the comment section powered by disqus in the platform to ask questions and get answers from our instructors.

5- What background information is required from my side to be able to efficiently understand the course?

>Our training is designed for engineers with a background in optics or at least physics but not necessarily with Zemax OpticStudio. 

6- Is the 30 days and 5 days access start once the student is registered or when the student starts the course ?

>The customer will receive an activation code, and the timer starts when they activate the course with the link.

7-  Will I have access to this online course permanently?  i.e. Can I come back and re-visit some videos after I finish this online course? 

>30 days access to the learning platform for the full learning plan or 7 days for an individual course.

You do get the .PDF training notes to download.

8- Do I need to have a Zemax license for this training? 

>Yes, you need to have a Zemax OpticStudio license. I recommend that you use the latest subscription version as you might not be able to reproduce all the examples otherwise.

9- Will I get a certificate?

>You only get the certificate upon completion of a learning plan. You will receive an email with the certificate .PDF as well as a Linkedin certificate link. Our learning plans are CPD accredited. Delegates completing a learning plan receive a CPD Certificate of Attendance and can record their attendance towards their formal CPD requirements for their professional body, institute or employer.

10- How to make an online payment

>After you click the purchase button for a course or a learning plan, you will be redirected to a page where you can enter your details. Please allow 24h for us to process the order and get you up and running with your training.

Note

Our courses are consistent with the tools and workflow of Zemax OpticStudio 19.8.

We are currently updating our course content to include the manufacturability tools released in 20.1 and 20.2.

Feel free to contact your Account Manager to discuss in further details [which email address can be found on your MyZemax profile]  or email sales@zemax.com.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Our Optical System Design learning plan is now CPD accredited!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello there Zemax users!

A new course is now available on OpticsAcademy, the Laser & Fiber Learning Plan!

This course reviews different methods to simulate lasers and fibers using the sequential mode of OpticStudio, including ray-tracing, Gaussian propagation and Physical Optics Propagation.

I hope that you'll enjoy it!

Best,

-Thomas

PS: We are working hard to publish a localized version of the Optical System Design Learning Plan in Chinese and Japanese too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Dear Zemaxers!

Due to popular demand, we have launched a new course about the non-sequential mode of Zemax OpticStudio!

It is not yet CPD accredited.

Hope it will be useful!

--

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge

Allow me to announce here that we have now published a localized version of the Optical System Design Learning Plan in Chinese and Japanese. Just follow the link and there are dedicated pages for Chinese and Japanese content. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

=0> Hello ray tracers! 

-Our Laser & Fiber Learning Plan is now CPD accredited!

-Our Illumination & Stray Light Learning Plan is now CPD accredited!

\o/ Here are the new certificates: 

Check out the Benefits of becoming accredited | The CPD Standards Office

All the best,

--Thomas

Hello Mr Thomas,

Thanks for updating us about the courses. I will appreciate it if you kindly let us know if an individual course like Diffraction, MTF, and Image Simulation can be purchased instead of a full bundle.

kind regards,

saikat

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi Saikat,

My pleasure! Yes, sure thing, I will put you in contact with your Account Manager for that.

Kind regards, 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Watch out OpticsBuilder User Group the new OB course on OpticsAcademy is now available. With this course the OpticsBuilder users can learn the basic concepts of optics required to package, analyze, and validate optomechanical systems and describe how the Zemax ray trace engine calculates and measures optical performance, how to apply the conversion workflow from Zemax OpticStudio to the CAD environment with the OpticsBuilder add-in, understand how to use the vast variety of OpticsBuilder tools on use-case example and how to use the optical drawings feature of OpticsBuilder.

You can find it here: Designing Optomechanical systems with Zemax OpticsBuilder

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact support@zemax.com or reply to this post.

By Flurin Herren, Optomechanical Engineer, Zemax