Multimode Fiber Emission

• 20 August 2020
  • 4 replies

I would like to model the emission from a multimode optical fiber.

I found examples in the Knowledge Base on how to calculate fiber coupling efficiency using physical optics. However, I instead would like to find a way to look at the emission pattern of a multimode fiber using Zemax. A multimode calculation would be onerous. But this output could instead be treated more simply as a total internal reflection within a long glass rod. Can Zemax handle that?

In particular, I want to get a uniform output, which is known to depend on the entrance angle of the light coupled into the fiber, as shown below. I wish to calculate these patterns. 

Thanks,

-Larry

4 replies

Badge +1

Hi Larry,

I would suggest using the Geometric Image Analysis feature or Non-Sequential mode. In the following Knowledgebase article, using the Geometric Image Analysis option is discussed:

https://my.zemax.com/en-US/Knowledge-Base/kb-article/?ka=KA-01351

In your case, I think using Non-Sequential mode would more suitable. I would recommend taking a look at the fiber sample files that come with OpticStudio. There are located in the following location:

\Documents\Zemax\Samples\Non-sequential

For example:

Best,

Ali

Can I get the Zemax file for the above illustration? That is exactly what I'm trying to do. 

I have Zemax Professional 22.2 and can do either approach, Non-Seq or Geometric. 

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Larry,

I have attached the file here. 

It is also included in your OpticStudio download under Zemax\Samples\Non-Sequential\Fibers\Light Pipe.ZMX.

-Kaleb

OK, the trick is to search under 'Light Pipe' rather than 'Multimode Fiber.' I now see a lot of subjects on this. Thanks.