multi layer coating for band pass

• 15 July 2020
  • 2 replies

hay all i am trying to design a glass substrate with 31 layers of coating of high and low index 1/lambda wave length in order to create a narrow ban pass filter. this design acording to chapter 4 at introduction to optomechanics by Grant R Fowel. i started with matlab and it came out preatty good but after designing in zemax i get compleatly different transmission vs wavelength graph. attached pictures of both graphs matlab and zemax

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello Eyal,

Thanks for your post here!

You may read about how to add metal material and coating profile to an edited version of the default coating file in the following knowledgebase article. It also shows how to apply coating to an optical surface in OpticStudio:

How to define metal materials in OpticStudio

Also, this articles describes how to create and apply ideal coatings, model partially reflective surfaces which diffusely scatter a fraction of incident energy into a specific distribution. Demonstrated here are cases of scattering combined with partial absorption, as well as partial specular reflection:

How to model a partially reflective and partially scattering surface

Best,

Csilla

Dear Csilla

I read this articles before but that is not exactly what i am looking for.

I allready changed the coating file i added a new coating custom made with 31 layers of quarter wavelength of high and low index, but after alysis with transmission vs wavelength i found out that its compleatly differente from the analysis i did with matlab, maybe you have an example for a narrow multilayer bandpass filter?

best regards

Eyal