Solved

Modelling microscope objective for tube lens design

• 14 September 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi all, 

I am exploring designing a microscope tube lens and I am not sure the best way to setup the idealized output from an infinite conjugate objective lens to match the parameters of an off the shelf objective. The information provided on the objective is magnification,NA, working distance, and field number. Can I convert these to field angles somehow? What is the best way to set this up?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Hui Chen 17 September 2021, 17:39

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Michael,

If you want a simple yet idealized model of this objective with known Magnification, NA and working distance, you can start with a Paraxial lens. The paraxial surface acts as an ideal thin lens modelled using only two parameters, the focal length and the OPD mode. However, the Paraxial lens is simply an idealized version of a real lens. For maximum OPD computation accuracy it might be good to use a real lens. You can optimize this real lens so that its Magnification, NA and working distance match the spec of the off-the-shelf lens. 

As for changing field definition to Field Angle, OpticStudio Field Data Editor has a tool there to help you convert between different field types. If your field definition comes in Object Height, you can later convert it into corresponding Field Angle.