Skip to main content

Hello,

I would like to modelize different benches, some on the top and some on the bottom.

I use multi-configuration editor to do so. I have a beam coming from the top bench going to the bottom bench (top-down), with a central plane where the beams of the other benches will go at the end.

I chose that my central plane is the global coordinate reference surface.

I have a beam from the bottom bench, with a source, which has a path and going through the same optics (PBS etc.) of the way (top-down) but it is going through them in the “opposite” direction to go on the top bench (down-up), through the central plane.

To model that, I just add all the surfaces from this down-up direction in another configuration (“configuration B”), before the central plane, and ignore them in the other configurations (“configuration A”), only the central plane is common to all configurations. I then model again the optics which the beam from the bottom is going through, until the central plane. I ignore for this configuration B all the surfaces after the central plane. For mirrors, steerings, I put the right rotation.
That does not work well and this configuration B is floating from the top to the bottom…

Any advice for my modelization ? Is it possible ?

Thank you a lot for your help.

Unless I had a need for capabilities of sequential mode not available in nonsequential, I would model this in pure nonsequential mode. 

I’ve worked with sequential files setup in the way that you are proposing and yes it can work. I haven’t used turn mirrors in the design but I think it should still work. I think you have the right idea of setting the central plane as a global coordinate reference. In one configuration you would trace to the central plane or even further. In the other configuration, you would trace backwards to the central plane, meaning that you would flip your sign convention to make it work (I think). You don’t even have to have the same surface in the LDE be the GCR even though in both configurations whatever surface represents your central plane will be coincident. You can change the GCR in the MCE to make sure that the layout is representative of what you are working with. Also, you are correct that you would use the MCE to selectively ignore surfaces not relevant to the specific configuration.