Solved

Modeling user defined surface with periodic breaks

• 12 April 2022
  • 3 replies

I would like to model a sequential standard surface with periodic air gaps or breaks as shown below. Is there an existing surface that can be modified to this effect?  

icon

Best answer by MichaelH 13 April 2022, 01:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Sapna,

There is no surface that can model this...you would have to use separate lines in the Lens Data Editor to model this affect.  Each row in the LDE is an optical surface and to create a period pattern like you show, you would have to use 8 different surfaces (more if you continue the pattern).  You can use Pickup Solves on the 2nd, 3rd, etc glass & air elements to ensure they remain periodic but this is something you will have to setup manually.

~Michael

Thanks Michael. I will give this a try. 

Would using an array to replicate a rectangular volume in non-sequential mode also achieve this? I do want a means of having an even number of glass elements and I am not sure if replication via array is restricted to odd numbers. 

Thanks, 

Sapna

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Sapna,

Yes, you can use a Rectangular Volume as the parent object and Array (in a row below the parent object in the Non-Sequential Component Editor) object to replicate the Rectangular Volume.  You can have the Number X’, Number Y’, and Number Z’ be either even or odd, so there is no restriction on the number of elements (you might be limited to the number of elements based on the memory of your computer if you’re trying to use hundreds or thousands of objects though).