Solved

Modeling dipole emission

• 21 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi All,

I would like to model collection of light from a point source that has the emission pattern of a classical dipole (i.e. E~ exp(ikr)/r * (r^ x (r^ x p^)), where r^ is the radial unit vector, and p^ is the polarization state of the radiation), ultimately into a single mode fiber. I’m fairly new to Zemax, so apologies if my question isn’t phrased correctly. I understand (I think) how to evaluate fiber coupling efficiency in sequential mode using unpolarized light and uniform illumination from a point source. I can then set the input polarization state using the Jones vector parameters, but this does not yet account for the spatial dependence of the amplitude of the spherically expanding wave. Is there a way to model this emission pattern? Or perhaps there is a different approach you’d recommend. Thanks for the help!

Best,

David

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 25 July 2022, 13:38

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi David

We have an article that describes how the polarization is handled in the software: https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005486441-Investigating-OpticStudio-s-polarization-features. In this article, you will see that we have different methods to define the electric field of each ray of a source:

And the method will then create different electric fields. For example if the source is defined as being linearly polarized at 45 degrees, this is how the electric fields would look like:

Would any of this option work for you?