Mirror tunnel in sequential mode

• 2 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Greetings community.

I am looking to model the light propagation inside a rectangular mirror tunnel. I am interested in using it as an imaging device, under specific constraints, so I will know that the rays will always enter on one side and exit out the other, after a single reflection inside.

Is this possible to accomplish in sequential mode? So far I have been trying to build the tunnel using folding mirrors, but I can not deal with the decentering. Do you need to introduce a coordinate break for every one of the four mirrors?

I have seen implementations of this tunnel in non-sequential mode, bud my license is limited for this.

Thanks very much.

John (Posting from Michael's account)

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi John

You can build a rectangular mirror tunnel in sequential mode, but rays will have to hit each mirror in sequence. So I am not sure this would be helpful. I have attached an example.

Sandrine

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I would use hybrid mode NSC for the tunnel mirror, so that rays can have unordered reflections inside the tunnel. It will also be a lot easier to set up the geometry.

- Mark

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Have a look at this article to get started with the hybrid mode: How to model a mixed sequential/non-sequential system.