mie scattering for a single water drop

• 23 September 2020
  • 2 replies

I'm interested in looking at the angular scattering distribution from a single water drop illuminated by a collimated monochromatic beam - the classic problem solved by Mie scattering theory.  I want to collect the signal on a detector and see the 'rings' produced and how they change with particle size.

I have not been able to see this result with sufficient resolution in non-sequential mode.  I'm open to using the geometric ray tracing approximation as well, where I model the drop as a sphere - but I have not obtained results with sufficieent resolution using this technique either.  I'd like so see this difference on my detector for drops ranging from 5 - 200 um.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Pat! Thanks for your post here on the forums.

When you say that you're unable to see the results with sufficient resolution, are you meaning that you kind of see what you're looking for, but not with the legibility you're looking for (some small rings but with noise), or is this more you not being able to see any 'ringing' structure at all?

I think to be clear on your setup, we might have to take a closer look at your file. Is there a chance you could share that to the forums here? You can also send us an archive of your system as a MyZemax case if you want to keep it private between you and us.

In the meantime, you might have seen this article already, but if you haven't, I think it at least helps demonstrates setting up the Mie scattering DLL in the context of atmospheric scattering. It's a bit different from your single-droplet model, but I thought it would be worth sharing.

Please let us know if you're able to share your model, and we'll be happy to continue the conversation from there -- thanks!

~ Angel

Userlevel 6
Badge +2