Skip to main content
Question

Loading problems with STEP data

• 24 July 2024
  • 9 replies

Hello,I have a problem loading STEP or IGES files into Ansys ZEMAX OpticStudio 2024 R1.00 Pro (11).We received some 3D data from customers and wanted to load it into ZEMAX. Unfortunately, this data is not loaded.As before, I always use the object "CAD Part: STEP/IGES/SAT". When I then select the Data File it takes the file and also shows the name. However, it is not displayed in the NSC Shaded Model.The surfaces are also not displayed under CAD “Surface to Face Mapping”. This table is empty.If I then load a 3D part that I created myself with AlibreDesign, I can load it without any problems and it will also be displayed.What could be the reason and how can I fix the “error”?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@MBohlen 

Any chance you can share the CAD with us for troubleshooting? You can try toggling Setup..OpticStudio Preferences..General..Use Parasolid Libraries and see if it makes a difference.

Take care,

David

Hello David,Thanks for your answer.I had already checked the “Use Parasolid Libraries” box.Or do you mean something different ?So far I have been able to load 3D data created by us (our company) (SolidWorks and Alibre Design) without any problems.Could this possibly be due to a defective 3D body?Can I have 3D data checked using the ZEMAX software ?Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@MBohlen

It can definitely be a defective 3D body. Unfortunately, OpticStudio isn’t the best tool to check those CAD problems. Have a look at this article, in particular the “Use a third-party validator” section (but the whole article applies here):

https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005487361-Tips-and-tricks-for-successful-CAD-import

In the last section @Mark.Nicholson mentions:

We use TransMagic, available from https://transmagic.com/, to analyze and repair problem files.

I hope this helps and take care,

David

Hello Davis,Thanks for the tip.We will take a look at this software TransMagic. Maybe that's the solution then.Michael
Hello,Unfortunately we have not yet received a key for the software from TransMagic. So I haven't been able to check whether the 3D data is incorrect.Is there perhaps another software for testing the customer's 3D data?Thanks

Michael

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hey Michael,

Not sure if this will help, but NIST has a STEP File Viewer that provides some diagnostics and is free to download.  This might provide some information while you’re waiting for TransMagic:

STEP File Analyzer and Viewer | NIST

Hello,Yesterday I was able to look at the 3D data with an expert from the TransMagic software. However, it turned out that the files do not appear to be defective. ZEMAX seems to have other points here as to why the data isn't loading.Now ZEMAX support will have to take a look at this data.Thank you for your support.  Michael
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@MBohlen 

In Addition to what @MichaelH suggested, did you try to diagnose the part in Soldiworks? Under the Evaluate tab you have a Check button normally.

Take care,

David

Hello,I found the reason and the solution. The problem lies in the "use parabolid libraries" setting.If this is set, I don't have the problem.The data is being loaded!If the point "use parabolid libraries" is set, the loading problem was because the origin was too far outside. If the 3D part is then set to 0 0 0, the data can also be loaded!Best regards  Michael