Solved

Light beam not Reflecting with CAD object in Hybrid Mode

• 21 March 2023
  • 8 replies

--Need Help--

I have this issue, I have two CAD objects in Hybrid mode. I would want the light beam to reflect after it touches on the CAD surface. However, the light beam seems to ignore the coated surface and passes through. Any reason why this is happening?

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 24 March 2023, 13:06

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Christabelle Tiong 

The two things I would check without seeing the file is:

• the position of the exit port
  • Reverse Rays

I would recommend having a look at the sample files under {Zemax}\Samples\Non-sequential\Prisms. They contain mixed mode files and it shows how to set them properly.

That article may also help: https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005577002-How-to-model-a-mixed-sequential-non-sequential-system

Feel free to share your file!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I believe this post is similar. Can I delete it?

Hi thanks for the reply, I'll read thru the threads you sent out. Yes, you may delete the post. Thanks!

Here is the file

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Christabelle Tiong !

There are a couple of issues in your file.

The position of the ports are not correct. As it is, the rays do not see the CAD objects as the exit port is defined before the rays can enter the NSC component. I have set Draw Ports to 3 to see the ports:

So the first thing I did was move the exit port after the system. I created a big exit port as a first approach.

Now the rays are going on but they do not behave as you expect.

I suspect that there is something wrong with the CAD parts. Is there an inner surface? I have added a source ray but I get a geometry error message as soon as I ask to split the rays:

I then ran a ray trace and saved it. It seems like something is not quite right around Face 5.

Do you have TransMagic or a CAD software to check that your volume is correct?

Hi Sandrine, thanks for the reply. I followed the parameter you have changed. But I managed to get the light beam reflected. But I’m also getting the Geometry error message….

Hi Sandrine, by following what you have suggested, I managed to solve the issue. I try to import part by part the CAD files into ZEMAX and it works! Suspect there might be some surface that is not quite right. Thanks for the great help and suggestion :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Brilliant. Thank you for letting me know!