Solved

Laser focal spot size vs Airy disk

• 2 September 2021
  • 2 replies

I don’t know if this is the right place, but there are probably people here with a lot of experience that may answer this.

I’m trying to model a laser system, where I want to know the focal spot size of the laser.

For this there is a standard, generally used formula: (M² * focal length * wavelength) / (pi * aperture). For parameters 980nm wavelength, 330mm focal length and aperture 20mm, this gives 20,6µm.

For the Airy disk radius, the formula is (1.22 * wavelength * F/#). For the same parameters, this gives 19,73µm, which is also what I get from Zemax. This means the Airy diameter is 39,46µm, which is about twice the size of the focal spot size calculated with the generally used formula to calculate the focal spot size.

So I am wondering what is the difference here? 

icon

Best answer by Csilla Timar-Fulep 7 September 2021, 18:12

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Rick,

Thank you for posting here on the forums!

I think the first formula you referred to should be applied on the beam waist radii and not on the full aperture diameters, please see this reference below:
The beginner's guide on spot size of laser beam (gentec-eo.com)

You may find more details about the OpticStudio calculations and modelling options in these knowledgebase articles and forum threads:
Modeling Laser Beam Propagation in OpticStudio – Zemax
Simulating lasers - webinar – Knowledgebase (zemax.com)
How is M2 (M squared) calculated in Physical Optics Propagation (POPD)? | Zemax Community

Best,
Csilla

Hi Csilla,

Thank you for your reply. I also was thinking that the first formula should be applied on the beam waist radius, but in a lot of sources (not from zemax but elsewhere) they are using it as diameter. So that’s why I was somewhat confused about it.