Solved

Issue of modeling wire grid polarizor and quarter wave plate in Zemax

• 11 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I have a question of correctly converting polarization state in Zemax non-sequential mode. We know that a wire grid polarizor (WGP) usually transmit p-polarized light while reflect s-polarized light, so as the attached picture shown below, when a p-polarized light (blue color) hit WGP, it can successfully transimit thourgh it, and hit a quarter wave plate (QWP), this QWP will convert that incident beam into right-circuarly polarized light (RCP), and hit the mirror, the mirror will covert it to left-circuarly polarized light (LCP), and go through the same QWP again, but now, that QWP should convert it to S-polarized light, which means afterwards, it is supposed to be reflected by that WGP, however, from the model shown below (the blue beam), it just passes through the WGP, which makes no sense to me. The zemax file is also attached below.

I really appreciate it if anyone has some insight about that issue! Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Mark.Nicholson 12 November 2022, 21:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Ztystar,

s- and p-polarizations are used when light is landing at a non-normal angle. For something like an XY polarizer grid, I’d suggest using a Jones Matrix and just defining the X and Y behavior directly.

• Mark

Hi Ztystar,

s- and p-polarizations are used when light is landing at a non-normal angle. For something like an XY polarizer grid, I’d suggest using a Jones Matrix and just defining the X and Y behavior directly.

• Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply! Actually, I use ‘Dual BEF Surface’ to model the wire grid polarizor that only transmit Y-polarized light, but reflect X-polarized light, and ‘Jones Matrix’ to model the quarter wave plate, then what you suggest is also using a ‘Jones Matrix’ to model wire grid polarizor?

Best regards,

Kade