Solved

Is uploading broken on the forum?

• 17 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

On the second image upload I get a spinner followed by “Something went wrong.” When attaching a file and the sending the post I get “Wait for your file to upload” and then I lose my post.

icon

Best answer by David 20 October 2021, 20:05

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I just managed to post a reply with an attached file. But trying to insert an image still produces an error, even on the first image.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi David,

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this. Can you let me know how you are inserting the image? Are you pasting it into the textbox or using the Insert image button? If you are pasting it, where are you pasting it from? A colleague had some trouble pasting from Microsoft Word last week. If you are having issues with the same program then I will contact the support team for the platform we use to host the forums. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Allie,

I tried two methods -- both failed the same way. In one case I used the copy-to-clipboard button on two different OS graphics -- one graphic a 3D Layout and the other Footprint -- and then used paste to paste it into the post. Both failed. In the other case I saved a BMP using the Save-As button on the graphic and then tried to insert the graphic. That failed as well.

The OS version is 21.2.2.  I back tracked from the current release because of issue with the merit function wizard.

Something I should mention:  When trying to paste an image into a post, I first see a faded image and then it disappears and I get the “Something went wrong.”

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I tried pasting from OS to Word. I can copy paste the 3D Layout, but not the Footprint. It is as though the copy button on the footprint diagram places nothing in the clipboard. I can insert the BMP of either.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi David,

Thanks for the extra information. In my testing, it looks like inserting the BMPs will not work if they are larger than 5Mb. Can you confirm the size of the BMP files you saved? My Footprint Diagram saved at about 9Mb. That may be why you’re having trouble there. 

Regarding your latest message - I’m not sure why the Footprint Diagram is not pasting into Word for you. I tested in 21.2.2 and was able to copy that analysis into Word for both the modern graphics version, and the Classic version. 

It could be that we have different graphics-rendering settings in OpticStudio. Please try navigating to File...Project Preferences...Graphics to view your settings. Here is what I have:

In the meantime, I would recommend using the built-in snipping tool for grabbing screenshots. This is pre-installed on Windows and can be found by searching “snip” in your Windows Start menu:

Sorry about the inconvenience. If we can figure out if there is a particular setting causing you trouble with the copy/paste, then I can escalate to the forum platform support :). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks, Allie.

I thought I would start from a clean slate. I had previously installed 21.3.2 and then reverted to 21.2.2. T clean up, I uninstalled 21.2.2, deleted all associated directories, and installed 21.3.2.

You can see the result in a test post I just made. I can insert images in the forum by copy-paste from a layout but not from a spot diagram. I can insert a saved JPEG from either. I can copy-paste from OS to Word.

By copy-paste I mean selecting the copy button on the OS graphic window and the using ctrl-V on the target.

Peculiar, but it works form me.

Here are my graphics settings:

Thanks, Allie.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @David - very strange! I’m happy to hear it’s working for you now. Thanks for letting me know. Definitely reach out if something like this happens again.