Solved

Is there a way to obtain eyebox?

• 2 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Zemax Community,

I have been reading articles from the HUD & AR knowledgebase and I have a question on this page,
https://support.zemax.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500005577782-Which-tools-to-use-when-working-on-a-Head-up-Display- ,
more specifically the eyebox size.

The article defines the eyebox size by range of positions taken by a driver’s eyes.
I wanted to know if Zemax has a tool or function that could define the eyebox’s width and height at some distance from an optical system.

icon

Best answer by Sandrine Auriol 11 February 2022, 11:16

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Ian, welcome to the community! When you ask for a tool or function that could define the eyebox dimensions, do you mean you don’t what what the eyebox dimensions should be for your system? Or you’re basically designing your system in reverse, where you are configuring the optics and then want the eyebox size reported out, perhaps even as criteria that you could use for optimization?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Ian, welcome to the community! When you ask for a tool or function that could define the eyebox dimensions, do you mean you don’t what what the eyebox dimensions should be for your system? Or you’re basically designing your system in reverse, where you are configuring the optics and then want the eyebox size reported out, perhaps even as criteria that you could use for optimization?

Hi Alissa, I am thinking of something that can define the maximum distance in the X and Y direction to not get any vignetting or cropping effects on the image. In the article, the eye box is defined to be ±50mm in width and ±20mm in height because it represents the range position a driver can take. What if the driver position goes beyond that range and starts to see the image getting dimmer or getting cropped out. Is there a way to define that information? That is what I have in mind.

Going back to your question, I believe the latter suits more of what I am thinking; where I am configuring the optics and want the eyebox size reported out. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello Ian

I might be wrong but I think you can obtain this with the Field of View analysis that is under Analyze...Biocular Systems.

I have attached an example. I worked on this when I wrote the article.
he file contains 2 configurations: one for the left eye and one for the right eye. Rays are launched from the STOP and the software looks at unvignetted rays (check the help files description for more details).