Solved

Interference Filter Modeling

• 17 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Is there a good way to calculate the spectral response of a multilayer coating?  I want to model several different bandpass filters using dielectric multilayers, at various angles of incidence.  I know how to simulate a known filter by adding the spectral characteristics into a coating file, but this assumes I already know the spectral characteristics of the coating.  I’ve tried adding multiple layers in non-sequential mode, both of varying dielectrics and partially reflective layers, but the spacing seems too small to register properly.  

icon

Best answer by Jeff.Wilde 17 March 2022, 21:19

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You should be able to add the coating stack design (materials & layer thicknesses) in a coating file and then use the various Reflection/Transmission tools to see the coating response.  For example, the IR_BLOCKER_45L coating is provided in the default COATING.DAT file:

Just be sure to add the start and stop wavelengths to the system Wavelengths list, which then allows the coating response curves to be evaluated over the corresponding spectral range of interest.