Increasing Mechanical Semi Diameter (without flat parts)

• 22 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Hello! I have a question about increasing the mechanical semi-diameter of lenses. When I go into the lens data editor and increase the mechanical semi-diameter by some value, it adds little flat bits to the lenses without changing clear semi-diameter (or optical performance specs). See attached image.

This is probably exactly what we want, but I'm wondering also how one would increase the mechanical semi-diameter by extending the spherical surfaces, but not changing performance evaluation or clear semi-diameter. Naturally, extending the spherical surfaces would decrease edge thickness, and my merit function optimization would complain or change my design significantly, but we're just fleshing out our options. 

Is my question clear? Thank you very much. Attached is an image of the flat extensions which, as I said, we may be happy with already. 

Elliot

P.S. Actually, come to think of it, are there any known cautionary notes about manufacturing/mounting with flat edges like that? Intuitively, it seems almost better, but I have never mounted optics (yet!). This is for a satellite application, by the way.

example.png

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Elliot,

I think what you want is a Chip Zone, instead of a Mechanical Semi-Diameter.

It will extend the spherical surface by the same amount specified in the Chip Zone (it's not a semi-diameter).

Does this answer your question?

David

Badge

A bit late additing to your post, but you asked about manufacturing a flat as you showed.

It might be possible on a molded element, but it isn’t possible on a conventionally polished glass element because the glass sits in a spherical cup during grinding/polishing, so you cannot have a projecting part.

You can of course start with a spherical surface up to the edge and then grind in a stepped flat recess.