Solved

Importing Step/Iges files in Solidworks

• 28 September 2021
  • 4 replies

I have an issue when bringing STEP or IGES files into Solidworks.  The problem occurs when Solidworks has 2 different files imported, the second one that gets imported shows up in Solidworks with only the rays from the first one, and lenses of the first one along with some of the lenses of the first system.

I think this is because the rays and lenses all get the same generic object names in the STEP/IGES file.  Is there any way to have Zemax create unique names?

icon

Best answer by Flurin Herren 4 October 2021, 13:52

View original

4 replies

Badge +3

Hi David, 

Thanks for posting your question here into the Forum.

The reason why the imported file from OpticStudio into SolidWorks have such generic names is the 3D Interconnect feature from SW. What I would suggest here is to Dissolve the feature within the component tree of SW. Allow to elaborate that on a simple system:

If we got an imported Lens via the CAD File Export from OS (Here Rays as Solid Beam)

You can see on the red marked icons, that there is a little green arrow, this means the components still have a 3D Interconnect with OpticStudio, to dissolve this link you can right-click on the subassembly (Red arrow) and choose to Dissolve Feature, after that you are able to change the names of the components freely. 

So you can change the names of the components and then import your second file.

Feel free to reach out here if you have follow up questions!

Best,

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I don’t like 3D Interconnect.  I disable that feature in SolidWorks.  I’d love to know how / why you find it useful.

Here’s how I solved the naming problem:

Userlevel 2

I don’t like 3D Interconnect.  I disable that feature in SolidWorks.  I’d love to know how / why you find it useful.

Here’s how I solved the naming problem:

This is a good temporary solution, @Flurin Herren is it possible that the STEP file will take the part names from the Comment column? will make life easier.

Oran

Badge +3

Hi @Oran 

Thanks for your post here.

I can bring this forward to the Product Team. However, I presume that wont be as straight forward, because every CAD Environment is treating the part structure tree a bit different. But I`ll keep you guys updated as soon as I hear anything.

Let me know if you have any more questions regarding the CAD handling and I`ll be happy to help where I can.

Best,