How would you stimulate your image based on a detector dimensions?

• 23 November 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello there,

When you design the optical layout, you arrive at the last stage where you make sure that all wavelengths are fully accommodated on the detector. Now, some important parameters of the detector include: number of pixels, pixel size (pitch), and detector's dimensions.

At the IMAGE surface, How would you insert all of these parameters so that you are confident about the system's outcomes?

My basic understanding is that the number of pixels & pixe pitch (size) are simulated indirectly (still figuering out how). But, how would you simulate the detector's dimensions so that you make sure your spectral range falls within the detector area?

My suggestion for the Zemax developers is that they enable an interface where these detector paramerters are inserted and accounted for.

I would appreacite some insigts about the detector's parameters in Zemax.

Cheers,

Naif

1 reply

Hi there, 

So, after i posted this question I was hoping to get some answers but there has not been any. I have found the answer just in case anyone coming after me to this forum asking this question again. 

Basically, the dimensions of the detectors are really represnted by the number of pixels (not the dimensions stated by the seller which usually are in mm units). Say you have a detector with dimensions of width 55mm and length 55mm. These are uselses when it comes to zemax simulation and you just have to find what i call the 'real dimensions'. 

There are two parameters of the detector you need to know: 1- Number of pixels of each dimension 2- pixel pitch (size). Lets say you have a detector with 640pixels in one dimension and 512 in another dimension with a pixel pitch of about 20microns. Now you can calculate the dimensions as follows:

640 pixels * 20microns = 12,800 microns (12.8 mm)

512 pixels * 20microns =10,240 microns (10.2 mm)

so you detector`s active area is 12.8mm * 10.2mm and you can insert these numbers at the Image Surface by clicking on the surface properties tab. 

Hope this helps anyone coming after this question (maybe after many years).

Naif