Solved

How to use Universal Plot to model spot size variability over different configurations?

• 8 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi! I’m trying to model a field flattening lens and I’d like to verify the spot size variability across my image field as a function of input angle to the system. Using coordinate breaks, I set up a mirror that rotates to specific angles (set by the Configuration parameter PRAM), allowing me to vary the angle of incidence into my lens. 

I’m using the 2D Universal Plot with Config: PRAM as the two independent variables and RSCE as the dependent variable. The plot comes out as a solid color (suggesting there is no variability across the image plane). This result seems wrong, as other tools (like RMS vs Wavelength) show the different configurations lead to different spot sizes. 

Let me know if I can provide more information. Unfortunately, I can’t share my zmx model. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Jeff.Wilde 8 June 2023, 21:28

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Here’s one possibility.  I assume you have multiple configurations defined and are using Config 1 for the mirror scanning in the universal plot.  However, the RSCE operand will compute spot size for the active (current) configuration.  So, if Config 1 is not your current configuration, then there will be no change in the reported spot size. 

Regards,

Jeff

Thank you for your answer, Jeff. That helped! 

Edit: I did not mean to select my answer as the best. I can’t undo it though.. something to think about Zemax….