How to set Gaussian cross section object in sequential mode?

• 23 November 2020
  • 1 reply

In sequential mode, the object to be imaged is an ideal point object(infinitely small point) on the 'OBJECT surface' , and we know that we could use point object to analyze the imaging quality of the imaging system we build with some analyzing tools.

But now I need an object with a cross-section of Gaussian beam but not idea point objects.

To illustrate my aim and the reason why I need an object with a cross-section of Gaussian beam, the virtual procedure is as follow:

First I focus a collimated laser beam with a laser focusing lens on the sample(i.e. OBJECT surface), so there is a non-ideal spot with a Gaussian distribution.

Then I need to image the non-ideal spot through a infinity-corrected imaging system on the CCD(i.e. IMAGE surface) and calculate the size of the magnified spot on the CCD.

this picture could explain the procedure:

I know this procedure can be simulated directly in the non-sequential mode, but I'm not very good at the non-sequential mode.

So I just want to put an ideal Gaussian beam cross section with an already known radius(1/e^2) on the OBJECT surface.

Could this be done?

Thanks for your attention!

1 reply

You should use 'Physical Optics' tab, u can be specify the beam and look the output of system on image surface. but for gaussian beam you need to divergence angle of source.