Solved

How to separate incoming rays from the diffracted rays in Dyson spectrometer design

• 17 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Dear All,

I am attempting to replicate a Dyson spectrometer design that was reported in this paper: https://www.mdpi.com/2304-6732/9/11/865 and I tried the design you see in the attached *.zar file. I introduced a fold mirror after the slit just to fold the beam.

This the optical layout from the paper:

and this is the my optical layout I attempted:

It is a known issue that the slit position is very close to the camera position in Dyson design. However, I could see that in the optical layout reported in the paper, there is quite some space between the slit entrance and the camera. To separate the two rays, I could adjust the grating grooves (by increasing it) but it will complicate the design etc. The grating grooves reported in the paper is 13 lines/mm and I have set it to 100 lines/mm (0.1 in the lens data editor) because it just gave me a reasonable design.

My question: What could possibly went wrong in my attempt? How could I make that nice separation between the slit entrance and image plane?

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by David 17 December 2023, 20:01

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Naif,

I opened your file and have two comments:

1. Note that in the layout in the paper, the slit and sensor are symmetrically spaced about the symmetry axis of the lens and grating. In your design the slit is centered, crowding the rays into half the lens. This can be implemented using coordinate breaks. 
  2. More importantly, you have not implemented the lens as part of a double pass system. The lens appears only once in the Lens Data Editor. Since this is a sequential design, the rays encounter surfaces in the order in which they appear in the LDE. In your design, once rays reflect from the grating, they do not see a lens between the grating and the image plane. If you look closely at the layout, you will see that rays leaving the slit are refracted by the lens, but rays reflected by the grating pass through the lens as though it were not there. In fact, it isn’t.

One way to correct the 2nd issue is to make the system double pass. In such a system the lens will occur twice in the LDE, with the second occurrence positioned to exactly coincide with the first in global coordinates. There is a knowledge base article on that method here.  Another way is to use non-sequential mode to model the system.

Hello David,

Many thanks for the notes. That is what I was missing, indeed.

It looks great now.