Solved

How to put space between lenses other than air in the lens editor

• 18 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello, My optical system is a fixed pressurized optic so I need to simulate the space between lenses with nitrogen gas. Can I define a background material that is not air? Is there any catalog for this type of gas? Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Jordan.Teich 27 October 2022, 18:36

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Cristina,

You can add new material in OpticStudio and this is described in a knowledgebase article. I have searched the catalog files using this approach but didn’t find anything that looks like nitrogen. It seems you will have to add it yourself.

There’s also an article about using a different background material in the non-sequential mode.

I hope that helps.

Take care,

David

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi Cristina, 

The Knowledgebase article that David linked is the best way to go about defining a different background material in Non-Sequential mode!

If you are working in Sequential mode and would like to add material between lenses other than air, this can also be done with a different method.  To do this in Sequential mode, you would need to essentially define another “surface” that exists between the back surface of lens 1 and the front surface of lens 2.  This would act as the background medium as rays travel between these lenses.  As an example, I updated the Cooke Triplet sample file to have Water act as a background medium between the middle and back lens.

In the picture above, you can see that Water is now acting as the medium between these lenses (Surfaces 3-5).  This is similar in principle to creating a triplet in OpticStudio.  To simplify this layout, you can also click into the Surface Properties...Draw tab for the Water surface and opt to not draw the edges.  If you click this option, it cleans up the layout, but Water will still be acting as the background medium between these two lenses (as shown below).

If you are modeling your system in Sequential mode, you can replace “Water” with the custom “Nitrogen” material definition that you insert into OpticStudio.  I hope this his helpful! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best,