How to model different air pressure in different segments?

• 6 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Hello,

My Zemax license number: L103085. Using Optics Studio 20.2.2

I’m trying to model different air pressure in the different segments of the system.

I follow the procedure described in the User’s manual : “Defining Multiple Environments within a Single

Configuration” on page 170

It appears the system always use the last Pressure operand value defined in Muti-configuration editor to apply to all the surfaces, and not allow to specify different pressure values at different segments using different Pressure operands for different segments.

At the same time the Temperature values could be assigned different values for different segments.

I’m checking the surface pressure and temperature values using Prescription report.

What seems to be the problem?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi,

Materials will always display the System Pressure in the Prescription Report, which corresponds with the last PRES operand listed in the multi-configuration editor, since it define the 'global' environment. In the index calculations, material index information is always defined relative to air at the System Temperature and Pressure, hence the glass surfaces always displaying the same pressure. You may have a look at this article that explains how OpticStudio calculate index at different temperature and pressure.

If the surface with a different pressure value is an air gap, you can add a 'GLSS' operand after the PRES one and this way, you will see this new air pressure in the Prescription Data:

Best,

Berta

Hi Berta,

I’ve added the GLSS operands for all air surfaces in MCE, and looks like it works now.

This small detail should probably be added into the User Manual

Thanks for quick response.