Solved

How to model a system with groups under different temperatures and pressures

Badge

Hello everyone, I want to model a system that has three assemblies at different temperatures and pressures. Additionally, each group can vary in temperature inside a specified range. Can this be modelled in Zemax and how?

The way I tried it turned out to be incorrect. I focused each assembly separately under its nominal condition, joined them in one file, and created 3 configuration thermal analysis. Then in MC editor, added temperature and pressure in front of first surface of a given group, expecting to get a nominal configuration to be focused, but it was not.

Can someone help me telling me how this can be modelled please?

Thank you very much, kind regards

Biljana

icon

Best answer by Berta.Bernad 27 May 2022, 11:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi  Biljana,

You can assign their own temperature and pressure to a group of surfaces using the TEMP and PRES multi-configuration operands, even if you only have one configuration defined. The key is that each TEMP and PRES defines the environment for all operands that follow in the multi-configuration editor. The last TEMP and PRES operands listed in the editor define the "global" environment, which will apply to all data not listed in the multi-configuration editor. The TEMP and PRES operands will apply the environment to all operands below it until it sees another TEMP or PRES operand. Essentially, you want to define the temperate for certain thicknesses, radii, etc. with a TEMP operand and place the consequent parameter controls under that operand.

There is a nice discussion about this process in the help files: 

The Setup Tab > System Group (the Setup Tab) > System Explorer > Environment > Defining Multiple Environments within a Single Configuration

To save time, you can use the tool “Add all data”:

This tool will add all data currently in the system to the MCE, so eliminates the need to add many data items manually.

Best,

Badge

Hi Berta,

Thanks for the answer. I had no agreement since I missed to add at the end of MCE starting TEMP and PRES.  

I managed to have a system in 3 configurations, but did not know how to make a single configuration with multiple TEMP/PRES environments like 

Can you tell me how to do it?
Thank you,
Biljana Tadic-Galeb

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yes, sure! 

I edited the sample file ...\Documents\Zemax\Samples\Sequential\Objectives\Cooke 40 degree field.zmx

Let’s change the system so that surface 2 through 5 is in a cooler environment (i,e 10 degrees). To do it, insert an operand before surface 2 to change the temperature:

and then after surface 5 to return the system to 20 degrees:

You can check the results with the Prescription Data (Analyse> Reports> Prescription Data)

I hope it helps!

Badge

Hi Berta, 

Thank you for your replay.  I have everything working correctly, although it is unfortunate that in Defining Multiple Environments within a Single Configuration    it was not described how to form 1 configuration with many operands in a MCE. I see that you have it in this Cooke 40 deg example, but I still cannot see how you created it.  

If I have more configurations with multiple environment subassemblies, the moment I reduce it to a single configuration, everything dissapears from MCE, so I know that it is not the way to create MCE with one configuration as you have it.

Thanks,

Biljana Tadic-Galeb