Question

How to model a cylinder detector surface?

• 25 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I am trying to set up a model where an LED is inside a plastic cylinder.  I would like to know the light distribution pattern that is exiting the outer surface of the plastic cylinder.  My thought would be to use a cylinder detector sized a small amount over the OD of the plastic cylinder, but this type of detector is not available.   

Any thoughts on how to do this?

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Bob,

I would recommend inserting a Cylinder Pipe, then using the option to 'Object Is A Detector' in the Object Properties.

This will allow you to access text data for Flux information in the text tab of the Detector Viewer. Note that you must be in the Text Tab of the detector viewer to access the detector from the settings.

For more information on this, I would recommend checking out the help system under 'Objects as Detectors'

-Kaleb

Hello, thank you for the reply.  I have also imported an stl cylinder similar to what is given in the 'cylinder pipe' object.  My reasoning is I can control the facet size and thus the resolution easier in my CAD program.

Is there a way to show graphically the irradiance pattern on the object?  If I try to show the results on the object in the NSC Shaded Model view I get a memory error if I try to show too many rays.  Is there a way to disable showing the rays, but show color of each pixel based on the simulation?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I would recommend changing the '# Layout Rays' to 0. Then you can change the setting for Detector in the Shaded Model to 'Color Pixels By Last Analysis'

After running a raytrace, you should see the results from the proper ray trace on the detector without having to put in too many Layout Rays.

Let me know if that works for you!

Hello,

Thank you again for your help.  This seems to be working as desired.  Now I think I am seeing a differernt problem related to my graphics card.  If I try and select a ray database to display on the detector the screen no longer shows the model, scale, or axis.  It will momentarily show the ray paths and then disapear.  I think this is specific to my pc.

Regards

Bob

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Bob,

I am glad you got that working.

As for your new issue, I would try taking a look at some of the tips in this article to fix that: https://my.zemax.com/en-US/Knowledge-Base/kb-article/?ka=KA-01853

If you are still having issues, please send a File Collector package to support@zemax.com and we can take a look to see if we notice anything.

Hello Kaleb

I am facing a problem in usintg the detector surface. As I m increasing the numbers of radial and annular zones the spot size of the light is reducing. Why it is happening? Is there any particular way of using it?

I will be very thankful to you.

Best and Regards,

Faheem