How to import an stp file

• 24 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone!

I have the drawing of a lens made with the CAD, an .stp file to be clear, how can I import a .stp file in Zemax?

Also, the lens I'm talking about is an aspheric, will Zemax (once I import the .stp file) be able to tell me the conic coefficients of the aspheric lens?

Thank you, 

Angelo

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Angelo

You can import a CAD part in non-sequential mode.

Copy the CAD part in that folder \Zemax\Objects\CAD Files. Then you should be able to select it:

The lens will be modelled using NURBS within OpticStudio. There is no direct way to fit the surfaces of the aspheric lens. One way can be to compute the sag of the lens and then do a fit with an external program like excel or Matlab.

Let us know if that can work for you.

Sandrine

Badge +1

Hi Sandrine, thank you for your kind reply.

I still have problems getting the sag of the aspheric lens I was able to import in zemax from an stp file.

I tried your method but the lens imported is in 3D so if I click con NSC Sag it gives me the box in the picture I post here.

Is there a way to 'cut' a section of the 3D lens and have it in 2D so that I can get the X-Y sag data and be able to analyze it with Mathlab to get the conic coefficient?

Thank you, 

Angelo

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for your follow-up question!

This knowledgebase article will walk you through how to measure the sag in NSC mode. It also gives an example of applying this analysis on imported CAD objects which might require additional user setup:

NSC Sag Map User Analysis · MyZemax

Further possibilities such as measuring the sag using the Universal Plot 2D, or via the ZPL macro are discussed in this article:

How to measure the sag of an NSC object · MyZemax

I hope this helps, but if you still have problems, would you mind sharing your model, prefereably as a .ZAR archive file, so that we can take a look at it? You can create a ZAR file from OpticStudio as below:

If you prefer not sharing your file on the forums, please open a private case with us: Open a New Case · MyZemax

Best,

Csilla