Skip to main content

Greetings,

I'm working on simulating an optical system that's highly sensitive to polarization. The setup involves a source emitting TE mode (S-polarized) laser light, which then travels and hits a Polarizing Beam Splitter (PBS). The PBS reflects S-polarized light and allows P-polarized light to pass through. The reflected S-polarized light is directed at my display, where it's converted into P-polarized light. This converted light is then sent back to the PBS, which passes it to a viewer (refer to the image below).

I've already modeled this system in a non-sequential manner without considering polarization information. Now, to accurately simulate the exact system, I'm seeking help or insights to guide me in implementing what I've described. Additionally, I'm particularly interested in how to model the PBS, which is polarization-sensitive, and how to represent the entire system in a single non-sequential file. Can anyone demonstrate how to model this wire grid?

I appreciate your time and assistance.

Thank you and regards,

Navaneeth

Hi Navaneeth,

Thank you for reaching out to us! Please find my response at our Ansys Optics Forum: How to designate S or P polarization for a source in Non-sequential and model?

Kind Regards,

Niki

This is an important question.

I’d love to see the answer, but the link goes to an https://innovationspace.ansys.com/ site.

This site requires a login, so I can’t see the answer.

It appears that I need an Ansys login for this. My Zemax login fails.

Can this answer be posted to a site open to the public?

Or to a Zemax site?

Hi Carey,

Thank you for your message! I believe that the replies at posts on ansys innovation space are visible to anyone. You will have to sign up to be able to reply or create a new one. 

Kind Regatds,

Niki

Hi Carey,

Not sure why you can’t view the post because I can without logging in, but the simplest method is to use a TABLE COATING for both the PBS and the reflection off the display.  A table coating allows you to enter either measured or theoretical values for both the transmission and reflection of S & P polarized light.

You also need to set the source’s Stokes vector parameters if you care about the absolute intensity after transmitting through the PBS.

Thanks to Niki and Michael,

Thanks for adding the information here.

2 days ago, I had clicked on the https://innovationspace.ansys.com/ link, and it asked me to login. my Zemax credentials didn’t seem to work.

Today I received an email “Welcome to the Zemax Community!”, and now the link works. So it appears that someone let me in.

I will need some time to try the suggestions.