Solved

how to design a convergent lens in NSC mode

• 8 April 2022
  • 8 replies

My standard lens for converging light beams is shown in the figure, but it doesn't seem to be able to converge?

data for standard lens in NSC mode

icon

Best answer by David 9 April 2022, 21:24

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Is it your intention that the lens collimate the converging beam?

Thanks for replying.

I want the  light beam from the  source ellipse to converge through a standard lens.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thank you. But I remain a bit confused. The beam is already converging. In the illustration, the beam width at the lens is so small that the lens has little power. What is the function of the lens?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi DDDD,

Perhaps an example will help. The attached zip contains a zar file implementing a non-sequential design for a focusing lens. A source ellipse emits a collimated beam of rays which encounter a Standard Lens of BK7 material. After passing through the lens the rays encounter a detector rectangle which will be used to measure the RMS Spot Radius of the beam on the detector.

The front and back radii of the lens are made variable. The thickness is fixed. (It is a weak variable.)

The Optimization Wizard in the Merit Function Editor is used to generate a merit function. The merit function  targets the RMS Spot Radius on the detector to be zero, and also targets the total flux of the detector to be 1 watt, which is the power of the source.

The design is then optimized using Orthogonal Descent. 

This sort of design is generally best done in sequential mode, with the resulting file converted to non-sequential using the Convert to Non-Sequential tool if necessary.

Here is the design:

This is the the Optimization Wizard used to produce the Merit Function:

Edit: For the first use of the wizard, clear data and trace are checked.

And here is the Merit Function after optimization:

Hi DDDD,

Perhaps an example will help. The attached zip contains a zar file implementing a non-sequential design for a focusing lens. A source ellipse emits a collimated beam of rays which encounter a Standard Lens of BK7 material. After passing through the lens the rays encounter a detector rectangle which will be used to measure the RMS Spot Radius of the beam on the detector.

The front and back radii of the lens are made variable. The thickness is fixed. (It is a weak variable.)

The Optimization Wizard in the Merit Function Editor is used to generate a merit function. The merit function  targets the RMS Spot Radius on the detector to be zero, and also targets the total flux of the detector to be 1 watt, which is the power of the source.

The design is then optimized using Orthogonal Descent. 

This sort of design is generally best done in sequential mode, with the resulting file converted to non-sequential using the Convert to Non-Sequential tool if necessary.

Here is the design:

This is the the Optimization Wizard used to produce the Merit Function:

Edit: For the first use of the wizard, clear data and trace are checked.

And here is the Merit Function after optimization:

Hi David :

Thank you for your help !

Best regards, DDDD

Hi David :

Can you take a screenshot of ·conic 2 and clear 2? My version can't open your file.

Best regards,DDDD

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Below is a screen shot of the hidden part of the LDE. I also attach a new zip which contains a ZMX and ZDA of the example. Perhaps you can open those.

Below is a screen shot of the hidden part of the LDE. I also attach a new zip which contains a ZMX and ZDA of the example. Perhaps you can open those.

Hi David :

It works ! Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,DDDD