How to characterize an LDLS source in NSC

• 9 September 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I am trying to simulate a Laser-Driven Light Source (or LDLS) in NSC. In particular, I have an EQ-99X, which I need to focus on a sample. The details of the source can be found here and here.

My setup is quite straightforward, as it only consists of two lenses. It is shown in the following image:

I would like to have a spot size of 10 µm, while the source has a dimension of 100 µm, therefore I started by designing a sequential system with magnification M=10, which I then optimized. I then chose and ordered the lenses, and the real setup works fine. I am now trying to understand if I can optimize the non-sequential system, to achieve better uniformity and spot size. However, the NS detector does not detect any photons, which is in contrast with the experimental results. Therefore I guess I am doing an error in the model, but I am not able to find it.

In particular, I am not sure that I chose the right Source object to model the LDLS: since the source has a circular profile, I used a Source Ellipsis with a 50 µm half-width in both directions and Cn=1.0. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for the answers,

Michele

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Michele, 

Based on what you've shared here, it's hard to make a definitive conclusion on what might be causing this issue. That said, one thing does stand out to me. That is, on the layout plot you've shared, it appears that you're only displaying a handful of Layout Rays. From that, I'm wondering if you haven't set a sufficient number of Analysis Rays for your source. If you're new to Non-Sequential Mode, this is a pretty common mistake. Shown below, the '# Layout Rays' parameter for any source is the number of rays displayed in the 3D Layout and Shaded Model plots; the '# Analysis Rays' parameter specifies the number of rays to be traced for any quantitative analysis. If the latter is set to a small number, your source is likely not well sampled, which could lead to no data being registered on the detector object. 

Let me know if this doesn't resolve the issue, and if not, I can take another look. To that end, if you could share some more of your system specs or a file, that would be great, as it will make troubleshooting a lot easier. 

Thanks, and have a great day!

Cheers,

Nick