Question

How do I modulate one branch of a mach zehnder interferometer?

• 26 October 2021
  • 0 replies

I’m building a laser doppler vibrometer as a senior project. To better understand how interference patterns work, I wanted to simulate this. In real life I will be using an electro optic modulator on one branch of the interferometer to heterodyne a carrier signal of around 80kHz. I would like to detect a doppler shift from vibrations around 5kHz. I loaded up the mach zehnder example file and would somehow like to run one path through what would be an 80 kHz modulation and then another 5 kHz to simulate the shift vibrations. I guess I’d like to try and see if a spectrum analyzer could pick this up and see the 5 kHz shift isolated. Or maybe view it in transient. The real life project has the recombined beam fed into a photodiode, then trans-impedance amplifier, then FM demodulator to read out only the doppler shift.

Any insight on how to simulate a modulated beam / laser doppler vibrometer type system would be an amazing help!

(FYI I have not used this program before so I am not familiar with it’s features.)

0 replies

Be the first to reply!