Solved

How Can I Add a Detector Cylinder?

• 15 February 2020
  • 4 replies

I am trying to simulate an LED that shines into a cylinder tube and I want to measure how much power is deposited into the cylinder tube walls by adding a detector cylinder but such a detector doesn't exist.

I've been using Detector Viewer on Detector Surface to check what the power in watts is, but even though I select checkbox "Object Is A Detector" in Object properties, it doesn't show up in Detector Viewer. I guess it makes sense because how do you show a map of the detector cylinder, but is there another way to measure the power going through the cylinder detector walls?
icon

Best answer by Aditi.Dighe 15 February 2020, 22:33

View original

4 replies

Hi Andrey!

When you select the checkbox "Object is a Detector", you can find out the power using the text-only tab of the detector viewer. The visualization does not show up, but you should be able to get the data in text only format. Hope this helps!

The problem is even when Object is a Detector is checked, the Detector Viewer drop down for Detector Selection, does not show this object in the list!!! So I can't select the cylinder pipe to see the text version of the power is received...
I agree that the drop down menu does not show the detector selection. The text tab, however, does show the detector in the drop down menu, with the name as is written in the object comment. Here's a screenshot to explain better- my custom detector does not show up in the drop down menu for the graphics tab of the detector viewer, but it does show up in the text tab of the detector viewer.

I hope this helps! Sorry if I misunderstand the issue. Good luck with your design!

Your screenshot doesn't load but I figured it out like you said. Thank you Aditi

I don't understand why they have different settings for Graph vs Text for the detector viewer. Indeed, if I open any detector viewer, switch to Text Tab on the bottom and then go to Settings and click drop down for Detector then I see my object that I check marked to behave as detector.

Side Question 1: I'm just trying to measure power from LEDs, does check box Normalize Coherent Power play a role in how much power is reported to have been collected, I'm not sure I understand it's purpose.

Side Question 2: I imported OSRAM's LZ4 Red LED zemax as a Source File, but Zemax reports min and max wavelengths  at 824 and 876nm even through the light source is 630nm. Also the Power (Watts) column reports 1 Watt, even though the LED max is ~4.1W (optical power) and I cannot adjust this number. This means I'm having to deal with converting all my numbers into % and then applying to the total optical power I know it can output.