Solved

Head up display design tools

• 2 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I would like to design a HUD projector to work with a windscreen. I am wondering what the best method for doing this would be, whether to use OpticStudio or Speos. I am familiar with Zemax but have never used it for this type of application. Because I don’t even know where the HUD optics will be located in space, or what their form will be,  I need a tool that allows me to define a geometry to give me roughly what I want before optimising. Unsure as to whether Zemax is the best package for that.

icon

Best answer by cynthiapadt 2 March 2023, 18:47

View original

3 replies

Badge +4

Hey Simon.aldred,

If you haven’t seen this already, it may be a good place to start: Head-Up Display (HUD) – Ansys Optics.This utilizes both Speos and Zemax OpticStudio to design and optimize a HUD. The link also provides other resources from the Ansys Zemax team that may be useful. 

I think a workflow for designing HUDs is dependent on the designer’s preference. I have used Speos to do initial design and optimization to take advantage of given CAD geometry. From there the design was taken into Zemax OpticStudio for performance optimization. I believe the example provided in the link starts with Zemax OpticStudio and then to Speos. If you have access to both and have used both I would take a look at the HUD analysis tool in Speos and understand its functions and capabilities, then review the additional resources from Zemax on HUDs. A HUD can be done solely on one versus the other, and each one has its benefits and capabilities.  

-Cynthia

Badge +1

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for replying. I only have OpticStudio currently. I’ve had a look at this link, which makes reference to a file HUD_Step1_MF_before_optim.zar. Is this available to download? I couldn’t see a link anywhere. It would be useful to have a worked example. 

Simon

Badge +4

Hey Simon,

You should be able to download the link at the top right of the page: 

I also went ahead and attached it. You will need an Ansys account to access the example files (from the Ansys Optics page). 

Enjoy!