Solved

Having issues exporting CAD

• 28 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I’m attempting to create a lenslet with a biconic front surface to match a grating mode. We need the CAD for this surface for some other software we are using, but I am unable to export the surface without OpticStudio crashing. The surface has admittedly steep curvature, but I don’t think it’s anything normal CAD software wouldn’t be able to produce, so I’m confused why I’m unable to export this surface? For reference, it seems that OpticStudio has issues with surface 2, rays are not included in the export, and usually it just crashes (closes to desktop) without producing any type of error window.

Lenslet profile (Y,Z)

Lenslet profile (X,Z)

Lens Data

Let me know what other information you might need.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by David.Nguyen 29 March 2023, 15:16

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi heathjam,

In the future, please upload an archive of your file. You can do so by clicking File..Create Archive in OpticStudio and then zip the resulting *.ZAR file before uploading on the community forums.

I tried to replicate your Lens Data Editor, and faced similar issues. I then went into non-sequential mode and, while I don’t have a definite solution for you, found something interesting.

I’ve performed the subtraction of a Biconic Lens with a Rectangular Volume (for the slanted face):

In green, there’s the Biconic Lens, in reddish there’s the Rectangular Volume, and in orange there’s the Boolean Native. As you can see something odd is happening at the edges. It might have to do with the steep curvature of the lens at the edges. If OpticStudio is trying to resolve the sag at the edges but the curvature is too steep, it might fail to find the correct intercept for the surface. But if you look at the Biconic Lens alone, it is actually fine, so I don’t really understand what’s happening.

If you go and uncheck the ACIS libraries: Setup..Project Preferences..General..Use ACIS Libraries, this is the result:

This is a little bit better and can be exported. This is the result in Solidworks:

Of course, you’d have to add a source if you want to show the rays as well.

As I said, not an answer, but perhaps you can figure something out from this. I’m attaching the Non-Sequential file and the STEP part.

Take care,

David