Solved

Glass properties FR and SR

• 4 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In the glass catalog, what do the values labelled by FR and SR represent?

icon

Best answer by Sarah.Grabowski 4 August 2020, 00:13

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

These options, located at the bottom of the materials menu, represent some of the mechanical properties of the glass. After the Relative Cost there are 5 text boxes in which you can view the data for their Climate Resistance (CR), Stain Resistance (FR), Acid Resistance (SR), Alkali Resistance (AR), and Phosphate Resistance (PR).

FR represents how well the material resists staining when it is exposed to water that is lightly acidic, with 0 representing no change after 100 hours of exposure, and a value of 5 corresponding to a change in color after only 12 minutes of exposure. SR, on the other hand, is a code that represents how durable the material is when exposed to highly acidic solutions, with a value of 1 corresponding to no surface decompostion after 100 hours of exposure to a solution with a pH of 3, while a SR of 5 denotes the surface holds up for less than 6 minutes. In general, lower numbers represent more durable glasses and a question mark in this box indicates that the information is not available.

Userlevel 2

Is there a place where to find the above thorough information, as well as the detailed explanations for the CR, AR and PR parameters?

I've searched the ZOS Help system but I couldn't find anything.

Thank you

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Alberto,

You can find the definition of these glass codes browsing the help files as such (At the bottom of the section):

The Libraries Tab > Optical Materials Group > Using Material Catalogs > Description of Catalog Data

However, to check the test conditions used to measure them and avoid any missunderstood, we recommend to contact the glass vendor. I.e. you will find this info as provided by Schott here 

Best,

Berta