Solved

Fraunhofer diffraction at the refraction grating

• 11 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone,

I am completely new to ZEMAX, I am supposed to simulate a refraction grating with asymmetric gap distances.

To be exact, my system should look like this: A laser with 0.5mm diameter illuminates a refraction grating with the 2 alternating slit distances (5 and 10um) and fixed slit width (5um). After the grating, an intensity pattern is created by the interference of the light. I would like to calculate this interference pattern.
Is this possible with Zemax and does anyone have tips and ideas how to start something like this?
If someone can help me, I would be super thankful

Best, Annika

icon

Best answer by Alissa Wilczynski 15 December 2021, 01:24

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi Annika, welcome to Zemax!

When you say you’re modeling a refraction grating, do you mean a reflective diffraction grating? This distinction might help other community members to answer your question. I’m going to answer assuming this is the case.

When you add a Diffraction Grating object to OpticStudio, the software expects you to define the amount of energy that goes into each diffraction order in reflection and transmission (you can see an example of this here). Additionally, OpticStudio will not calculate your diffraction efficiency in this case. If you know how much energy is lost, you can account for that, but OS won’t give you that answer.

If you don’t know that information for your grating, then I believe you’d need to use our RCWA DLL models to represent the actual structure of the grating. Hui makes some helpful comments in this post. We have a bounty of articles on the subject. Since your student license is the Premium edition, I believe you have access to the diffraction DLLs including the RCWA DLL.

All that said, the task you’ve described is definitely not an easy task within OpticStudio. If you have an advisor or professor who has previous experience with the software, that would be a good resource to lean on.