Solved

FOV measurement of a VR headset in NSC mode

• 18 August 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello all.

I am trying to find the field of view of a VR headset from four corners of a display screen ( 90 mm x 90 mm) using non-sequential mode. I considered the corners of the display as source points and focused using a Fresnel lens (f=50.1 mm) on the retina. The rays are unable to reach the retina and what is the best way to get this done? 

icon

Best answer by Angel Morales 14 September 2022, 01:45

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi there,

Thanks for posting on the forums! From your post, I think you’re trying to do something that Sequential Mode is much more capable of doing compared to Non-Sequential Mode. If you just have some Source Point objects defined on the corners of the display screen, these rays will emit at the cone angle you’ve defined, but really you’d be interested in specific rays that characterize the optical system, such as a chief ray (ray which leaves the object edge and passes through the center of your STOP surface in the optical system).

It seems like the STOP would probably be the pupil of the eye, so you’re effectively trying to determine which ray leaves the corners of your display and intersects the pupil of the eye in the center. Depending on your system, this might be a bit of a challenge to do in Non-Sequential Mode. You could define single Source Ray objects at the corners, and tilt those rays until they pass through the eye’s pupil. You could then measure the ray direction cosines with the merit function editor to see the angles of incidence for these rays on the eye. You may also be able to automatically perform this ray tilting iteration with an optimization, but I might gently recommend trying to redefine the system in Sequential Mode if possible, as that would be an easier way to get the data you’re looking for.

Let us know how these thoughts work out for you or if you have any more questions. Thanks!