for ZERN insufficient RAM problem

• 22 January 2020
  • 11 replies

Dear All,

When I want to use the ZERN command in Merit function, I constantly get the "insufficient ram" error. It is stated in the ZEMAX help file that "you can get this error" but no solution is given. I need this function to do the optimization. How can I get rid of the error?

I cleaned the TEMP folder, reset the computer, but this error constantly comes up.

Thanks in advance.

1.jpg

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Well, that is one of the oldest error messages we have, and I don't think I've seen it in over a decade. That really does go back to the days of 386/486 class machines with 640k RAM.

It means exactly what it says, so the solution is more memory. But I am amazed that you get it on a modern machine. Can I suggest you install OS on another machine, and test your file on that machine?

If you do get the same error on the same message, either post your file here or open a case with support if the file is confidential. I'm really amazed that on a 64-bit machine you can get this error these days, but there we are. We'll need to see the file to make progress.

If you don't get the error on the second machine, it points to a fault in the memory of the first machine.

Looking forward to the result!

- Mark
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The other thing that occurs to me is the sampling you are using. Sampling 1 = 32x32, 2 = 64x64 etc. What value of sampling are you using?

Also the docs say:

Note that a "ZERN error" message may occasionally appear, usually caused by insufficient RAM or if OpticStudio is unable to compute the OPD. There are a number of other situations that can trigger this error message. If you suspect none of the above reasons apply to your case, please contact technical support.

(my emphasis). Does that help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I was able to get this error to occur with the double Gauss sample file, by setting the Sampling to the maximum allowed, 16kx16k:

So I'd check the sampling, it may be set unfeasibly high.

Hi Mark,

The number of sampling I use is only 32x32, so I write "1" on the sampling tab. I am looking at the amount of RAM used in the "system check" option when the ram amount of the computer is 16 gb and OpticStudio(version 190731) is running. The maximum ram used is around 1 GB, so there is a lot of RAM in the computer. I haven't tried it on a second computer, I thought I would have problems carrying the license. I do not know if you can help with this because my "license support" period is over, if you want, I can send the design as an email to the address you specified, I think this is a technical issue. 

Thanks in advance,

İhsan

2.jpg
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Ihsan,

Can you post the file here? 

BTW, the other thing that can cause this error is if the OPD cannot be calculated. Have you checked that?

Hi Mark,

I added the file. There is no problem seen with the calculation of OPD, the system is close to diffraction limit.

I also experience this situation in a very simple doubled lens design, so don't be surprised to see the merit function crowded.

also I do not know what to do to prevent it from happening again if my computer has a problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Ihsan,

Your file worked fine for me, no error computing the ZERN:

So I think there is something going on with your computer. BTW, you did not send the glass catalog data, and so OS used the standard Schott etc glasses rather than the glass catalogs you used. Don't know if that's related, but it was the only thing that happened when I loaded your file, it otherwise checks out just fine.

You're also using SCHOTT and CDGM catalogs, and some glass names are duplicated, leading to warnings in the System Check utility:

Checking Configuration 1 of 1
Warning: Glass name F2 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Warning: Glass name F5 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Warning: Glass name BAF4 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Warning: Glass name F1 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Warning: Glass name F3 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Warning: Glass name F4 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Warning: Glass name F6 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Warning: Glass name F7 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Warning: Glass name F13 is duplicated in the current glass catalogs.
Trivial: Glass SF13 on surface 7 is obsolete.
Trivial: Glass LAK9G15 on surface 13 has no thermal data defined.

I'd definitely check the file on another machine though. Machine errors are rare, but they do happen.

- Mark

Hi Mark, 

I added the glass catalog at attachment.

The glasses in the catalog are the current 2018 and 2019 glasses. Can u check again?

But I think, the problem is not related to the glass catalog, I currently use the 19.4 SP2 version, I have tried to contact the technical team about this, but no one has returned :(

If I want to format and reload OpticStudio on a computer connected to the internet, will I have any problems?

Thanks in advance,

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Yeah, I was clutching at straws there. File works fine with your glass catalogs:

It's easy to transfer the license away from your machine, but it looks like something is wrong either with your installation or your machine. I'd transfer the license to another machine, test the file there to satisfy myself that it does work, and then set to trying to find out what's wrong with the first machine.

Today I will format the computer and upload it again. I will share the result here, thanks Mark.

I solved the problem. The issue is related to the OpticStudio 19.4 SP2 version. When it returned to the 19.4 SP1 version it worked flawlessly. I believe that it is necessary to warn the authorities on this matter. Also, I emailed to Zemax about this, but no one returned. Thanks for your support Mark. You're still the best.

-ihsan