Solved

Feature request: Merit function editor. Slow update with zero-weight operands.

• 29 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Some operands in the merit function editor need long computation times, which is not the problem here. The problem for me is that the MF update does not get faster even when they are assigned zero weight, e.g. FICL. One could delete the operand and avoid the slowdown. However, the operand could be needed at a latter phase and one would have to enter it and the accompanying fields again. It would be nice if operands with zero-weight have no influence on the computation time of the merit function.

icon

Best answer by Andrey.Pravdivtsev 29 June 2020, 14:41

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hello Sentayehu

Even if an operand does not have a weight, it is still calculated by OpticStudio. The reason is that this operand may be use to report a value, or you could use that value and then constraint it using an other operand that has a weight.

If you are not using that line, I would recommend removing it. You can save your merit function first, so that you can load it later and avoid typing again operands.

Sandrine

Thank you Sandrine for the quick reply and the alternative solution. It would then be nice if there was an option then to disable some specific lines. Only a wish from me :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

You can use GOTO operand to skip several rows.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thank you Andrey. Yes I hadn't thought about it.

Perfect! Thank you!

Stale conversation, but I second the original request by Sentayehu Fetene.Wondimu. The GOTO option is a clever work-around, but it would be much more seamless, and consistent with the way that the wavelength and field editors work, if you could simply ignore lines in the merit function (NOT set weight to zero). You’re already doing it in those other editors, do it here too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

+1 for me

The Tolerance Data Editor has the option to ignore operands (without having to delete them).  The same would be very nice to have for the Merit Function Editor (i.e., avoid having to use the GOTO option) as well as for the Multi-Configuration Editor.